Author Topic: The Game of the Foxes  (Read 512 times)

Offline Ruslan

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 36
The Game of the Foxes
« on: October 14, 2010, 12:42:51 am »
A fox went out in a hungry plight
  And he begged of the moon to give him light...

Spanning the better part of eight hundred pages, the celebrated Ladislas Farago recounts the story of the Abwehr, the little known spy division of Germany operating before Hitler (1921) and into the second world war for a time (1944).  From the rubble of Berlin to aviation factories and secret hideouts in the US, Farago tells us of the mercurial Captain Canaris and his "foxes".

The book will take you around the world in nearly painstaking detail, and even to the authors own personal meeting with Canaris.  Never have I learned so much history on a single subject from one tome.  The people are brought back to life, the intrigue and operations brought back into the minds eye.  These were the dashing and daring spies of fable, attending parties, taking up actual jobs in factories to steal plans, undecover for years on end, informants, code words, code names.  One spy even fools the President.  If ever an organization in history was so ignored by the history books, it was the Abwehr (perhaps this is testament to their secretive natures effectiveness).

I highly recommend this book, for anybody even vaguely interested in history.  Despite its length, it is well worth the effort.

:fox-;): :fox-;): :fox-;): :fox-;): :fox-;):/ out of 5 

Offline Roofus

• Resident Grumpy Old Fur
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 86
  • Whatupwidat?
  • Fursona Species: Wolfdog
Re: The Game of the Foxes
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 03:47:06 pm »
Man, I'm glad someone else has read this book!

Dude, if you like that and haven't already I recomend D-Day and Stalingrad; two books by Anthony Beevor. They follow a similar "narrative" pattern but on a much grander scale.

Offline furryfox

• brown fox
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 25
  • this is who i am
  • Fursona Species: brown fox
Re: The Game of the Foxes
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 09:43:19 pm »
i haven't read these books but coming form you guys saying they are good ( i am addicted to reading) so i am going to read them now cause of you, lol
i am fox in soul and heart but am trapped in the human form
foxes are the awsomest animal ever!!! :fox-:):