Author Topic: Programs that piss you off.  (Read 6826 times)

Offline a ghost

• Green Level
  • Candies: 78
  • oooo
Re: Programs that piss you off.
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 10:52:42 pm »
1- Photoshop. Seriously, how can anyone draw with that piece of crap? I see why people draw on paper first; the lines in photshop are chunky and disgusting!

2- Any kind of commercial antivirus. You do not work as well as avast and shut down when the smallest virus comes along. Do not want.

3- Windows movie maker. It's in a desperate need for an update and there are very few programs that are free and replace it completely. I hate it but it's got features other freeware doesn't.

4- Internet Explore. I am not even going to go into what's wrong with it. Everything is wrong with it. EVERYTHING.

5- Firefox. While it is highly customizable, it completely rapes my cpu and takes up a HUGE amount of memory. It is why I use chrome.
  • Flag - wallpaper
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 05:27:54 pm »
1- Photoshop. Seriously, how can anyone draw with that piece of crap? I see why people draw on paper first; the lines in photshop are chunky and disgusting!

Generally, people who draw digitally, using a tablet, don't start with Photoshop.  If they're using Adobe products, Illustrator is the way to go, it's a rather nice vector-graphics app with excellent tablet support.  Photoshop is used for post-processing and special effects.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Marcus

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 141
  • Fursona Species: Dog
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 05:54:18 pm »

Generally, people who draw digitally, using a tablet, don't start with Photoshop.  If they're using Adobe products, Illustrator is the way to go, it's a rather nice vector-graphics app with excellent tablet support.  Photoshop is used for post-processing and special effects.

Exactly, this is where a lot of new digital artists fail. They spend all this money photoshop, then discover it's not the best for lineart. You can do some pretty cool coloring with it though. Same thing with GIMP, you can get nice coloring, but crappy lines. There's a lot better programs for new digital artists that are A LOT cheaper. *cough*SAI*cough* Most programs meant for digital art include a line stabalizer, so you don't get chunky, shaky lines.

Also, FIREFOX. >:/
My signature needs a change. It's been four years.

Offline Roofus

• Resident Grumpy Old Fur
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 86
  • Whatupwidat?
  • Fursona Species: Wolfdog
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 08:38:38 am »
I find Photoshop works fine if you know what you're doing.

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 12:18:04 am »

Of course it does, that's not the point.  The point is that Photoshop is simply not meant to be a vector art application, and was never designed or intended to handle digital line work.  It's possible to use it for that purpose, but it's drastically more difficult than using an actual vector art application, and even if you're awesome, the results are still less than ideal because the linework is processed as raster graphics, not vector graphics.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Roofus

• Blue Level
  • Whatupwidat?
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 09:59:13 am »

Of course it does, that's not the point.  The point is that Photoshop is simply not meant to be a vector art application, and was never designed or intended to handle digital line work.  It's possible to use it for that purpose, but it's drastically more difficult than using an actual vector art application, and even if you're awesome, the results are still less than ideal because the linework is processed as raster graphics, not vector graphics.

Oh, no arguments there. But there are certain "ways" of getting around it. Though truth be told if I wanna do line-art I use Illustrator too, then ship the whole file over to Photoshop afterwards. Personally I wish they'd combine the two programs, although I know that's kinda impossible.

Offline Sheba Damon

• Has the munchies...
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 18
  • Yellow
  • Fursona Species: Skink
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 12:13:25 am »
The machine that runs my programs... This dumb laptop is stupid!
Also wordpad for not being able to open unsaved or .dmp files.

Offline TIGER

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 222
  • :03
    • Twitter - tidaltiger
    • tumblr
  • Fursona Species: surprisingly, not a tiger?
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2010, 04:08:24 am »
PhotoShop is for shopping photos.
Yep.

I love Corel painter's lines. They're so smooth and amazing and augh I love them.
But
It's still being lame and shutting down randomly. Do not want.

Also, Telsta broadband whatever things.
By far the worst way to connect to the internet. Ever.
Damn thing shuts off after 10 minutes, doesn't let me see animated avatars, and takes about 3039q495q4 years to load a youtube video.
>.<
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: she/they
  • Award - Graphic Artist
do your best today! ☀

Offline Jarulso

• Red Level
  • Candies: 10
    • Twitter - Jarulso
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2010, 06:00:19 am »
Also, Telsta broadband whatever things.
By far the worst way to connect to the internet. Ever.
Damn thing shuts off after 10 minutes, doesn't let me see animated avatars, and takes about 3039q495q4 years to load a youtube video.
>.<

I hate Telstra too, so not alone there. It's not a program, but still, Telstra is now just TRYING to annoy the hell out of me >_>
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Alex Galloway

• The Defender
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 62
  • :D
    • FurAffinity - HaddockWolf
  • Fursona Species: Dracocatwolf, Illogical Tribrid from another dimension
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2010, 09:26:07 am »
The Registry Cleaner didn't really do much, other than permanently screw up the registry link for explorer.exe. Alexx's post led me to avast, and its running now, but the computer cannot turn itself off, meaning I have to damage the OS to turn it off... I know a full install would probably fix it, but I'm saving that for when I order a WD Raptor drive to serve as the main drive.

Also, I've heard that Virus's can survive in RAM, or hidden pockets of infected drives. I heard the solution was to turn off all power, disconnect all drives, make sure its powerless, then wipe the infected drives individually, if its a particularly bad virus, and I've been having this problem with multiple installs, so that may be a culprit.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 09:28:01 am by Haddock WereWolf »
"In the end we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Dr. MLK Jr.
Every person is born a white canvas, and each person we touch, each person we talk to, they impart a shade of their color upon you. and these mixes of colors blend into a unique shade that is you - Alexander (me)

Offline Roofus

• Blue Level
  • Whatupwidat?
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2010, 09:34:24 am »
Dunno if it counts as a program, but my new belkin (which still sounds like an insult to me - you belkin!) dongle has developed some puzzling characteristics.

1 - If I turn on my machine with it plugged in, it tells me it's connected and yet there is no data being received from the router, which leads me to unplug it and replug it again. Which leads me to:

2 - It then says "USB device has malfunctioned, not recognised" like the computer has developed Altzymers and is trying to work out if the dongle is indeed a wireless dongle or their estranged daughter.

3 - After about 8/9 times being unplugged and replugged the PC finally recognises it as a USB device...only to inform me that "this device can work faster with a high-speed 2.0 port." Well fuckity-do I think, the PC is trying to help me...that lasts three seconds before I remember that although it wants me to plug it into one of the "high speed ports" it's so convinced I've got it refuses to tell me which if any of my USB ports are it. I've tried them all. All 8. None are the fabled high-speed port. I'm beginning to think it doesn't exist...just like the cliterous, a reliable British car, or moderate members of the BNP.

4 - After about five minutes of unplugging, replugging, crying, screaming insults in various languages (I find German very cathartic) it finally detects that yes, it is a wireless dongle, and yes it is connected. And then I'm on the internet.

5 - Sometimes it then cuts out about an hour later, leading me through steps 1-4 again.

You bloody Belkin!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 09:36:30 am by Rooster »

Offline Kelly

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 16
  • Fursona Species: husky
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2010, 01:32:42 pm »
MicrosoftExchange causes me physical pain: i have to manually delete messages when the message box is full, one by one...One by one...go down from 3060 messages to 300...for the third time. Mailbox size 200MB has been exceeded. You can not send or receive messages.
Watch "Missing Lynx"

Offline Scix

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 5
  • Fursona Species: Horse
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2010, 10:06:40 pm »
Iiiiiiiiiiituuuuuuuuunes
Do. Not. Want.

It will not let me add .mp3 files to the library. I've tried everything.

And now, frostwire. It was one of my favorite programs a few months ago. Easy to use, easy to save playlists, fast downloads. Then they had to update it. Now everything is slow as f*ck, and all the files it hosts are either viruses or corrupted.

And whatever third party piece of shit ipod manager I have installed right now. I go through like 3 a month, they all suck. And the one I have now isn't so bad, except it can't understand what fucking alphabetical order is.
Yellow level, yay!
Gamertag: Telesyntetikas
Second Life: Scix Azov
Steam: sk501

Offline D

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 28
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2010, 01:16:29 pm »
iTunes, as a Mac user I love the integration with all my stuff, but as an audiophile in my  opinion, it sucks, app is clunky as hell, no support for FLAC without some major modifications and no support for my Droid/Milestone

Offline moosemouse

• Brofessional
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 24
    • FurAffinity - moosemouse
  • Fursona Species: Silver fox
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2010, 02:50:29 am »
Cool Edit Pro. It keeps telling me to install it on an administrator's profile when I always run it as an administrator. I have tried for hours at a time to run it but it hates me. Sometimes I just want to be like "JESSE ANGRY! JESSE SMASH!" on my computer because of this stupid program.
[placeholder]

Offline Kelly

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 16
  • Fursona Species: husky
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2010, 04:33:41 am »
Sofos antivirus - all it does is slow down your machine. Then it blocks Microsoft word (quarantines it), then it blocks Firefox (for no reason), then...I uninstall it and go back to avast. Don
Watch "Missing Lynx"

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 114
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2010, 10:09:23 am »
GNOME-desktop and Nautilus with the --desktop switch, as well as Thunar when xfDesktop is compiled without the alt-window-manager=Nautilus switch.

I am not running gNOME. I can run the services when and if they're needed. Nautilus, not running gnome-desktop should be DEFAULT behavior, not forcing me to throw a switch.

Thunar, you live up to your name, but once you go the spatial and nice route, you never want to run you again. xfdesktop running you and refusing to integrate anything else, even when the exact same command syntax is followed for compatibility sake with everything, is a pain in my ass.

Why is it that a model of "freedom of choice" has serious issues with non-freedom's "defective by design"? (See: Lock-in) Can somebody explain this here, because it shouldn't be that hard to blend these together.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 10:15:53 am by copb.phoenix »
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline Rooks

• Amateur Wordslinger
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 9
  • In Keyboards we Trust
  • Fursona Species: Barn Owl
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2010, 01:56:27 am »
BLENDER. That horrid 3d modeling program may be fairly powerful and open source, but it's GUI. Oh my god, I have never ever seen a worse interface in my life. I've spent hours trying to figure it out all it's buttons and icons. Really if you ever thought Gimp was bad, go try making something in Blender.
Ah well, at least it's free.

Offline Sleek

• MoonMoon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 118
  • Gonna Get The Thing
    • DeviantArt - SleekHusky
    • FurAffinity - Sleek34
    • Twitter - SleekHusky
    • Weasyl - SleekHusky
  • Fursona Species: Huskeh
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2010, 05:34:09 am »
IE, you piss me off so much I love you... but you're still a douche.
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/They/Them/Their
I try to manage some semi-official gaming events for this forum.
Twitch.tv livestreamer here
FT's Twitch Channel here

Offline Daniel A. Skirtandzy

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 162
    • FurAffinity - Skirtandzy1
    • LiveJournal - Skirtandzy
    • Twitter - Skirtandzy
  • Fursona Species: Domestic Cat
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2010, 08:31:03 pm »
Microsoft Auto-Updater, anyone?