Author Topic: Lyrics  (Read 646 times)

Offline Tyla

• Green Level
  • Candies: 23
Lyrics
« on: November 11, 2010, 12:37:01 pm »
Just a little bit of a poke-at regarding lyrics here, but anyway.

What approach do you have when it comes to applying lyrics to a piece? I mean, I seem to have a major amount of trouble. Coming up with the lyrics themselves usually come a load at a time, but I often forget the melody I had in mind and leave the lyrics there, and to be fair, the whole, "Work on the instruments first" part is probably a lot better for me.

Offline Roofus

• Resident Grumpy Old Fur
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 86
  • Whatupwidat?
  • Fursona Species: Wolfdog
Re: Lyrics
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 02:14:46 pm »
I use a number of ways to write lyrics for songs.

1 - Sit down with a pad of paper and write out song titles, just a huge list of them...with stuff like "Kamikaze Bumblebees" or something. If the names are good enough then the song kinda forms itself as you know what its personality would be.

2 - Write a load of nonsensical stuff, with no structure, just lyrical phrases...then try and fit them to music you've already written but have no lyrics to...try more than one song too, and don't be afraid if they don't make sense as some of the best songs are like that. It's more about emotion of the song as a whole than a "story".

3 - Use syllables and word sounds. For example I've got a lyric that goes "The losers almanac of current events doesn't make sense of the super ultra mega dent". It doesn't mean anything unless you want it to, but it sounds good.

4 - If you've already got the music done, just make up nonsense words as a filler while you get the melody down. After all, "Yesterday" by The Beatles originally had the lyrics "Scrambled eggs, all i hear is about those scrambled eggs" before McCartney wrote the lyrics proper.

Hope that helps some, and remember that making the lyrics good means making them fit the song but it doesn't mean that they have to "mean" anything or be "about" stuff.

Artists I suggest listening to are: Bob Dylan, Guided By Voices, Sebadoh, Mountain Goats, Silver Jews...stuff like that.

Offline Tyla

• Green Level
  • Candies: 23
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 03:29:19 pm »
I'll try and give it a shot then after I've poked in the instrumental parts of what I'm already working on. Got quite a lot to work off though lyric wise, I guess if I'm pointing the drection of "random crap makes awesome lyrics".

Offline Roofus

• Resident Grumpy Old Fur
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 86
  • Whatupwidat?
  • Fursona Species: Wolfdog
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 08:47:27 am »
Well if you've already got the music then I suggest just listening to it on a walkman for a while until some melody comes into yer head. Also, cool phrases are good to just shove in there as lyrics too even if they don't fit the rest of the song.

There's a Guided By Voices song that has the lyrics; "we look, and we pass, through the hallway of shatterproof glass" which is great...reminds me of an old Elmore James song with the lyrics "The sky is crying, can't you see the tears rolling down the street."

I'd love to hear what you come up with :D

Offline Kelly

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 16
  • Fursona Species: husky
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 10:13:12 am »
1) decide what you want to say,
2) compress it in the least ammount of words possible
3) rewrite it in meter to match the rmyth of the piece
4) add rhymes to match the melody
5) edit
6) take criticism and edit again.
Watch "Missing Lynx"

Offline Acrisuis

• Green Level
  • Candies: 22
  • SOMEONE needs to love insects....
    • DeviantArt - Pocket-fulla-shells
  • Fursona Species: Insect thing
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 06:47:21 pm »
I despise writing lyrics - I am an instrumental writer through and through

Offline Sheba Damon

• Has the munchies...
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 18
  • Yellow
  • Fursona Species: Skink
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 11:44:55 am »
When I write lyrics I usually just pick up a guitar, start strumming around, and sing. It doesn't even have to make sense... What goes, just goes.
But after all of it's written, then I go for the editing. Y'know who would like a song that says something about death in a icecream cone? (Besides me xD)
---
They often go with how I feel, which brings a meaning to it.