Author Topic: How did you find the furry fandom?  (Read 20376 times)

Offline Zeek TehHusky

• Huskies! :3
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 25
  • A party orientated husky!
    • FurAffinity - http://www.furaffinity.net/user/zeektehhusky/
    • youtube
  • Fursona Species: Siberian Husky
Re: How did you find the furry fandom?
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2011, 09:20:48 am »
it all started with youtube in 2006 i had an account called dill2099 and i was a wolf lover and had lots of friends on youtube who also loved wolves then i got this one message asking "what is ur fursona" and asked the person wat is a fursona then she sent me a link explaing wat a furry was then ever since then ive considered my self a furry without a fursuit (i will own one someday)
survey banner

Offline XxDawnshadowxX

• Harvester of Figs
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 18
  • Die Welt braucht mehr OOMPH! (*´∀`*)
    • DeviantArt - XxDawnshadowxX
    • FurAffinity - XxDawnshadowxX
    • LiveJournal - XxDawnshadowxX
    • Twitter - xxdawnshadowxx
  • Fursona Species: Siamese cat
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2011, 07:56:10 pm »
I'm not to sure of how I became a furry, as I've always liked anthropomorphic animals, playing Sonic the Hedgehog when I was a tiny child. I actually found out about/identified myself as a furry I believe in 4th or 5th grade.
  Super Smash Brothers for Nintendo 64 can take all the thanks. I was immediately attracted to the character Fox McCloud. He was about the only character I ever played as. Then I got into Starfox, the video game series Fox is from. I'm in 10th grade now and still in love with Starfox and the furry fandom~ ^_^

Offline Yinny

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 5
  • Wurk it
    • DeviantArt - Buttsteak
    • FurAffinity - Yinny
  • Fursona Species: PANDA FOX
« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2011, 04:09:04 pm »
I was searching that video "Evolution of Dance" but I found "Evolution of Dance Furry Version" so I watched it and immediatly fell in love with those "things" at the time, I was in the 6th grade (now a Sophomore). Then I searched more and more videos about them and finally just watched Kijani Lion most of the time, anyone know who he is? He's basically the one who got me into it.

And now I make my own suits!

Offline Goat angst

• Your crazy ruler
  • Cookies: 114
  • Mmmmm goat angst~
    • DeviantArt - crazymonkey45
    • FurAffinity - crazywolf45
  • Fursona Species: Crazy and spooky goat angst
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2011, 09:12:56 pm »
Well it started with most talking animal movies.then star fox.finally I searched furry up and here I am.
  • Award - Beta Tester

Tacos are the best kind of weapons!

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2011, 09:31:22 pm »
I've posted this a few times, but I'll share again :-)

Basically, it was the CSI episode that initially caught my attention.  I was aware of furries for a couple years prior to it, had a boyfriend in 2001 who liked furry art, and even checked out the fandom a little bit.  But, aside from a couple isolated and poorly-updated art sites, a MUCK (which seemed a bit weird to me, having never done any sort of RP), and a LOT of dead links/sites, I couldn't really find anything about it, so I chalked it up to "not my thing" and moved on.

But in October 2003, when the CSI episode first aired, I was fascinated.  I didn't even watch CSI, normally, but a friend of mine who knew I had a number of "alternative" interests said "hey, there's a thing on TV about this thing called 'furries'!".  Unfortunately, I missed the first 15-20 minutes of the episode, so after it finished, I went looking for a download.  This was back when a simple Google search was a reliable tool for finding media downloads, and before Youtube became a place where a thousand people would upload a new TV show before it even finished broadcasting.  So, in my searching, I didn't find the episode, I found something better; thousands of furries talking about how the real fandom differed from the episode.

I couldn't stop reading.  I think I sat at my computer for 18 solid hours researching the furry fandom.  And, perhaps it was because I was incredibly burned-out on politics (my previous point of social contact, having just graduated high school and with no job or college classes) and subconciously looking for a new "home", but I found it.  Suddenly, I was able to find what I couldn't find a few years prior; active communities, real participants, art sites (pre-FA), and something to connect it to the real world, conventions.  Within a week, I had created a fursona, joined a number of Yahoo groups (including Furry Teens in its original incarnation), and attending Anthrocon became my new Biggest Life Goal.  Shortly afterwards, I started meeting other furs online, and learning everything I could about the fandom.  It quickly felt like home.  I even had dinner with Uncle Kage a couple months later, without having a clue who he was, and I went to my first con in March 2004; Megaplex, a small con in Orlando, which used to be held in winter.

Over 8 years later, I'm still here :-)
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 115
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2011, 05:55:22 am »
I was in a BHC for psychosis and met a guy who introduced me to the furry fandom, though at that point I wasn't that interested.

I was then later carousing newgrounds looking for something funny to watch when I came across the works of a certain artist there, a trio of NSFW games. The art style - and a lot of what he had to say - captivated me at that point. The NSFW, not so much, even now.

After that, I lurked around a lot of places online until I eventually joined Furry Teens. The rest... You can find either cached elsewhere or here on FT itself.
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline scipio austra

• Red Level
    • FurAffinity - www.furaffinity.net/user/scipioaustra/
  • Fursona Species: husky
« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2011, 01:56:35 am »
I found the furry fandom from a dub of a sonic movie awhile ago (sonic bastardized)
one of the characters says "lets post pictures of furrys on 4chan! That's a good idea!"
and then google did the rest
"When you enjoy something, you must never let logic get too much in the way. Like the villains in all the James Bond movies. Whenever Bond breaks into the complex: 'Ah, Mr. Bond, welcome, come in. Let me show you my entire evil plan and then put you in a death machine that doesn't work'."
-- Jerry Seinfeld, "Sein Language"

まいにち ふわふわ こむぎの ゆうわく。

Offline Toranar

• He who falls from walls
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 36
  • Pic by Princess Rei
    • FurAffinity - Toranar
  • Fursona Species: Manx Loaghtan Sheep
« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2011, 05:26:20 pm »
You know... thinking on it, it may have started with Rei from Breath of fire 3... He was AWESOME!
  • Site Donor
"The townspeople need you, they've been sad for a while
They march around, faces frown and never seem to smile
And if you feel like helping, we'd appreciate a loooooot
If you get up there and spread some cheer from here to Canterlooooooot!"- Applejack's best line ever. And my favorite song line.

Offline Orpheus

• Physically im 18. Mentally, thats another question...
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 44
  • Tacky, yet delightfully refined.
    • FurAffinity - orpheusfox
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2011, 07:31:00 pm »
Well...
 Has anyone seen that episode of "strange addictions" on TLC? Ya. I was like, WTF, surely this cant be true. So i went and researched the fandom myself. Turns out, it wasnt so bad after all, and here i am  :fox-:P:
    Honor, Courage, Commitment.  

Offline Sleek

• MoonMoon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 119
  • Gonna Get The Thing
    • DeviantArt - SleekHusky
    • FurAffinity - Sleek34
    • Twitter - SleekHusky
    • Weasyl - SleekHusky
  • Fursona Species: Huskeh
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2011, 07:31:56 pm »
Well...
 Has anyone seen that episode of "strange addictions" on TLC? Ya. I was like, WTF, surely this cant be true. So i went and researched the fandom myself. Turns out, it wasnt so bad after all, and here i am  :fox-:P:

Saw that, I liked her art style.
I didn't like how they considered it an addiction.
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/They/Them/Their
I try to manage some semi-official gaming events for this forum.
Twitch.tv livestreamer here
FT's Twitch Channel here

Offline qwertyjake

• Red Level
  • im awesome at minecraft
  • Fursona Species: cat
« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2011, 01:52:28 pm »
i heard about it on ohinternet and forgot about it and then the word furries popped into my mind about a month later and i googled it and then found wikifur and read about the fandom...and thats how i found the fandom :)
  • Site Donor

Offline AceSquirrel

• Chocoholic
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 1
  • HIDE YOUR FEET
    • DeviantArt - AceSquirrel
    • FurAffinity - AceSquirrel
  • Fursona Species: Squirrel
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2011, 01:15:56 am »
I don't exactly remember how I found out about the fandom, but I was 10 o.o I didn't know much but then I got back into it at 13, then started going on websites like furaffinity. Like a year after, I didn't get back into it, but not for long until I then met a friend in high school who's a furry and got me back into the fandom. So here I am! :3

Offline nightwolf14

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
    • FurAffinity - nightwolf14
  • Fursona Species: wolf
« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2011, 10:56:01 am »
I was on newgrounds.com and found a flash video with an anthro fox in it so I looked @ the video description and found the word furry.I looked it up on google,found FA and instantly fell in love with it  :lol-fox:

Offline Zythren

• Retro Faggot
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 6
    • FurAffinity - crdb5066
  • Fursona Species: Blue and Yellow Snow Leopard/Bunny
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2011, 06:19:50 pm »
Googled "Monsters" for a school project in grade 7, found "Chakats", found more furry stuff, and I've been hooked since. =]

Offline Quick

• The Calm Wolf
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 12
  • Hit me up with a PM!!!!!!
    • Twitter - Terique21
  • Fursona Species: Black Wolf with White tail and ears
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2012, 08:48:14 pm »
I used to be a major sonic fan. and when I was surfing the webs I came across what are Furries. I became intriged, reseached, and joined.
Smile and let eveerybody know that Today, you're stronger than you were Yesterday.
  -Drake

Offline kuri

• nope!
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 7
  • bleh
  • Fursona Species: grey wolf
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2012, 12:47:04 pm »
to be honest, deviant art..... then after i saw this i was like :this is awesome" and looked up the fandom and the rest was history XD
pixely thing by - crevontz

Offline Nick

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 10
  • Take everything one step at a time
    • DeviantArt - nickrocks3636
    • FurAffinity - nickrocks3636
    • My Blog in South Korea
  • Fursona Species: Grey Wolf
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2012, 01:05:00 pm »
I've been an avid internet user ever since i got access to a computer, mostly using it to play online games, look at forums and above all else..watch youtube videos~ I only have one video..but i've been watching videos on there since that place got popular. At this time i was really into Anime and things such as that, and i had heard of furries before but i had never really identified with them before. Then...i found a video of the 2010 Anthrocon. It was so amazing to me, all the interesting outfits and fursuits. All the creative ability that must have gone into thinking of the design and creating them; Along with everyone hugging and being super duper nice to everyone. I really wanted to be part of the community, but for months i had no idea what to do. a lot of places didn't really seem to be for my age at the time, 14. I then found furryteens...and well the rest, is as they say, history  :fox-;): I was on this site for many months..but real life stuff made me stop posting as actively as i would have wanted to...And because it felt like i was just apart from it too much, i decided to leave for quite some time. I've only come back recently and its really interesting at all the people who have left and come back...Things such as that. Its amazing to be here and know so many awesome people~

*hugs everyone*
Feel free to message me anytime. I'm here for everyone

Offline HayaiLightning

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
  • Fursona Species: rabbit/hyena
« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2012, 01:23:38 pm »
Star fox 64 was, and is still my favorite game and thats what happened :fox-:P:
Hayai Lightning

Offline Not-a-DJ

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 2
« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2012, 12:04:00 am »
I was reading LEGO webcomics on a webcomic-hosting site (DrunkDuck or some comic host like that), and somehow I ended up browsing through profiles and eventually wound up reading some furry webcomic. I had absolutely no idea there was a fandom for it, I just liked the comic and read through it. Eventually a different webcomic I read did a cross-over/spoof of another comic that had some ties with the furry fandom, so I started reading that too. Then I saw an ad for a furry webcomic on THAT site, and started reading that. That led to another furry comic (I still had no idea this was all tied to some fandom, heh). It wasn't until I started reading the forums for discussion of the latest webcomic that I heard more about the furry fandom, so I did some research into it. Then it finally clicked, and I started lurking on various furry forums and the like. A while later I eventually joined one of them - Furtopia - and then some more forums after that one, and FA, and finally, here.

I still have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline FurryPhil

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 43
« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2012, 12:17:55 am »
I was paroozing the Internets like I normally do when I'm bored, and I came across a picture of a cartoon fox next to a fursuit of that picture.
My first reaction was "What is this, and how can I be apart of it?!"  :lol-fox: