Author Topic: How did you find the furry fandom?  (Read 19942 times)

Offline Dingo

• #Hashtags
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 52
  • Ruff! <3
    • FurAffinity - okamiix
    • Twitter - @DingoFTW
    • my furrafinity page
  • Fursona Species: wusky :) wolf/husky
Re: How did you "discover" the furry fandom?
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2011, 02:55:49 pm »
well, car crash, left me bedbound, i was bored, bought a laptop, my friend (who joined this site but doesnt do anything because he's shy) showed me a online comic called twokinds, and i really liked it, i googled and found FA, met some people, and now i'm on this site   ^-^

Offline Arran

• Siberski
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 13
  • Absolutely satisfactory!
    • DeviantArt - Arranyan
    • FurAffinity - Aranyan
  • Fursona Species: Canis lupus familiaris (Siberian Husky)
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2011, 11:10:12 pm »
I found it while searching Youtube. I found a techno song by Renard also known as Kitsune^2 a popular furry musician. When i looked at the comments the word "furry" kept showing up. I googled it and discovered the fandom. After some research,  I remembered the Disney movie Robinhood, i remembered how much i loved it as a kid and i how i fantasized about being a fox. So with a lot more research and time I accepted that I am a furry.

Offline Seth

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 50
    • DeviantArt - SethMongoose
    • FurAffinity - Safaia
  • Fursona Species: Yellow Mongoose/Reindeer Hybrid
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2011, 04:34:27 pm »
A teacher in grade 7 told me about them not much so i googled and well here i am lol
A teacher actually told you about them? That's awesome! 8D

Offline Rooks

• Amateur Wordslinger
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 9
  • In Keyboards we Trust
  • Fursona Species: Barn Owl
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2011, 01:09:52 pm »
I think I started liking anthropomorphic animals back when I was 7 - 8. I'd recently been watching 101 dalmatians and I started just playing around at being one. Then a few years later the movie Happy Feet came out, and that's when I really got into the idea of anthro. I became almost "obsessed" with penguins and started trying to act like one
However I only really discovered the the term "furry" in 2008 when I was searching Google Images, and the "fandom" in 2010 after getting a stable internet connection. After that I started using the Furnet IRC network, and began fully calling myself furry

Offline Norbert Crescent

• Red Level
  • Candies: 7
  • Rar ~ =3
    • DeviantArt - norbertotter
  • Fursona Species: River Otter
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2011, 05:43:20 am »
? I always loved cartoons and videogames with "furry" looking characters (Spyro being my first game EVER), and then suddenly discovered the fandom like, 4 years ago, and I always had a like for it but never felt like a furry myself...
But of course, I was always like "Whoa I wonder what it would feel to be *insert vg/cartoon character*, it would be fantastic!"
So that's why I mostly like cartoony furries =D I love animals too, specially dragons, mustelids and reptiles of all kinds, but decided I was going to be an otter because I feel most identified with them =3
After a hate message left on my Youtube about me being furry when I still was not or at least I didn't feel like one... That actually made me feel like I was really a furry and not in a bad way. Started watching many videos about a lot of furry stuff, just making me like the fandom more and more... And but of course I am a furry, what was I thinking? =D I see now too that the community is amazing, a lot of nice people who share the same likings. And I don't care about the haters, after all they were who made me realize I was really part of this wonderful fandom, and they will have to deal with it. :lol-fox:

I would also like to have a fursuit and would love to attend furry conventions, but I'm afraid this is just a dream for many reasons... D=

ā—‡ My accounts ā—‡
ā˜†

Offline Yona

• Green Level
  • Candies: 42
    • DeviantArt - Aw3someJon
    • FurAffinity - Yonaradros
  • Fursona Species: Cat
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2011, 12:51:36 pm »
By an odd coincidence, I just found the art. YEARS later I actually found out what they fandom was and I thought "why the hell not?"

Offline sina-chan

• Red Level
  • Candies: 2
  • ^_^
    • FurAffinity - sina-chan
  • Fursona Species: Husky/Tiger
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2011, 08:17:52 am »
I first discovered 'furry' when I was like 14. My friend Chi told me to join a guild on Gaia Online. The guild? Furryteens. :mrgreen: My first fursona was a cheetah-tiger hybrid named Arin. After I stopped going on Gaia, though, I forgot all about Furryteens and furries in general.

Then this summer, I was hanging out with Chi and she had over one of her furry friends. Furries and the fandom was the topic of conversation until he left, and then later that night I got my current fursona, Sina.
Je ne Regrette Rien

Offline Captain Corgicakes

• Green Level
  • Candies: 30
  • My jimmies...
    • FurAffinity - Blitz.Hawkeye
    • Twitter - mrcorgicakes
  • Fursona Species: Jackalope
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2011, 08:26:19 am »
I'm not sure...I can only remember something if it's from a year ago, so I'm gonna guess that I discovered it about 6 months ago.  Seriously though, I have a horrible memory XD 

Like Arranyan said, I used to fantasize about being animals whenever I saw them in movies.  I can't remember the name of it, but there was a video game that was kinda like Spyro, where this kid got turned into a dragon or sumthin', and I used to think "I WANNA BE A DRAGON!!"  Lol

Anyways, I disovered it when I was 13.
  • Pronouns: He, him, his

Offline Bundi

• Red Level
  • Candies: 5
    • FurAffinity - Bundi
    • My Furaffinity
  • Fursona Species: Coyote... Fox... Corgi thing. YEAH!!!
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2011, 12:47:27 am »
Haha, I think I pretty much just got interested in 'furries' before I even was online!
I'd been interested in animals since I was little, and when I was 8 or 9 I began drawing what I called "Animal people".
They were all cats and poorly drawn. xD But later on, once I used a computer, I began learning about the furry fandom and said that is probably what I'm a part of. :P

This post has officially made no sense.

Offline Slender Wolf

• Always watching
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 11
  • Nā“ Eyes
    • DeviantArt - SolidWolff
    • FurAffinity - solidwolf
  • Fursona Species: Slender,GreyWolf(hint of dragon),Unicorn
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2011, 08:30:24 pm »
Don't get mad ,but first heard about it on 1000 ways to die. I thought'' with all the lies they put on tv this whole 'yiff' thing must be bs.'' later on in life on youtube furry caught my eye. i clicked on it and learned more about furs. July 2010 i joined the fandom.

Offline Arctic_Fox

• Red Level
  • Candies: 5
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2011, 08:22:57 pm »
I also found out thou 1000 ways to die and I thought strange but whatever then a month later I saw a music video by my fav band Rise Against and the music video was about furrys but not in a bad way and then I looked at the comments and one said something about furrys but i ignored it then the next day I found VGcats (funny comics involving antro) and I felt like I heard of this somewhere then the next 2 days i had a dream that i was and Arctic Fox antro and my world was a mixed human and antro world. When I woke up did some Google searches and found out what it was and i went THATS ME! searched "young furrys" found this first link.

Offline Shade DaWolf

• Personality Cocktail
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 37
    • FurAffinity - Shade DaWolf
  • Fursona Species: Grey Wolf
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2011, 09:30:59 pm »
The TV shows we used to watch when we were young XD.

I saw a youtube vid of Anthrocon 2008 and Skroy, and thats when the research started to happen.

I declared myself a furry in lat 2009 :D

Offline Julian Summers (Kin)

• Depressed Femboy Wolf
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 52
  • Femboy Wolf <3
    • DeviantArt - KinTheAlbinoLucario
    • FurAffinity - juliansummers
  • Fursona Species: Black Wolf
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2011, 12:55:34 pm »
Well, it's kinda funny actually.  When I was a bit younger, I was surfing the web since I didn't rly have many friends, and I wanted to make sure I was "normal", because at the time my parents thought homosexuals were "just not right".  So, I looked at some pictures of girls  (clean ones, I assure you) and found out that nothing rly worked for me. Then, while doing that, a picture came across the screen of a fox that had humanoid features, and I was intrigued by it, and looked into the fandom further.

It was then that I had my first encounter with them, and I've slowly sunk deep into the heart of the fandom, never letting go. I'm a furry at heart!  ^_^
No internet. wont be on for a while.

Offline Will

• British Mouse
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 43
  • meh, none of you gave a shit
  • Fursona Species: Mouse
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2011, 04:22:56 pm »
I was on the computers in school and this girl was looking at a Furthia High comic and it looked really interesting so i decided to try and remember the name. At the time i didn't know about furrys at all even though i was reading a furry comic. When i finished reading all the archives i decided to look for more comics with furrys in them. I came across what it meant and researched it more and after some looking i decided i was furry since i like "animal people" :D.
"To the world you may just be one person, but to one person you may mean the world."-Brandi Snyder

Offline Larsen

• You could be next
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 21
  • I Want Crazy
    • DeviantArt - AnimalLarsen
    • Twitter - @musleh_yusef
  • Fursona Species: dog/wolf
How did you find the furry fandom?
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2011, 05:33:08 pm »
I remember surfing youtube and came across across a video of...furrys! It was a video of people fursuiting and having a great old time. I was thinking "omg thats the coolest thing I have ever seen!" :lol-fox: I later looked into what the fandom was about and ever since I have been a furry. How did you first find out about the fandom?
#Ifeelpretty

Offline Lux

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 9
  • Did someone say HATS?
    • FurAffinity - luxeed
  • Fursona Species: Ferret/Fox
Re: How did you find the furry fandom?
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2011, 07:05:31 pm »
I used to be a huge Sonic fan (not anymore), and some fan artists I saw were furries. I saw some furry pictures when I was surfing their Deviant Art galleries, and I was hooked instantly. I didn't really know much at first, but I heard the word "furry" thrown about a lot, and I decided to find out what it meant. So, there we go.

Offline fray the EMS husky

• Doc Jr.
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 1
  • thow...THE..CHEEEESE!!!!!
    • DeviantArt - huskymedic
    • FurAffinity - troubleclef
  • Fursona Species: siberian husky
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2011, 08:02:06 pm »
deviantart can bear the blame for me  :fox-:P:
How to save a life...

Offline Applesau5

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 3
  • SIR APPLESAU5 XIV, LORD OF 1943 XB (CERES)
  • Fursona Species: Lynx
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2011, 08:07:26 pm »
Im not entirely sure. I think it was art-related, since I've never been into the other aspects of the fandom. Pretty sure it involved Krystal from the starfox series, but during the school year my memory is all out of whack.
no u

Offline Minimoose1441

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 18
  • *Insert snappy comeback here*
    • DeviantArt - minimoose1441
    • FurAffinity - Minimoose1441
    • SoFurry Account
  • Fursona Species: Red Wolf
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2011, 08:42:37 pm »
Im actually writing a biography on how I got into the fandom. There are just so many aspects that led to it. There's my friend who always used to ask dumb random questions, and one of the was 'Are you a furry?'. There's the 1000 ways to die episode, that even though it showed me what a furry is, was extremely inaccurate and makes me angry to this day. There's VG Cats, me stumbling across FA, being friends with a furry online, and much more. So yeah... I take allot to be convinced into something. :fox-:P:
  • Site Donor

The best website ever.

Offline Azalea

• Rainbow Collie
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 3
    • DeviantArt - winterlocked
    • FurAffinity - Gallifreyanmutt
  • Fursona Species: Border Collie
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2011, 08:46:06 pm »
There's this adoptable pet site called chickensmoothie, and I noticed a lot of people had fursonas.
I googled "fursona" and found out about the fandom by googling fursona.