Author Topic: Wanting to do everything  (Read 148 times)

Offline ☆Sugar☆

• Swerve
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 166
  • kinda only care about giant robots tbh
    • DeviantArt - SugarLonghorn
    • Twitter - NoNotExactly
  • Fursona Species: Longhorn
Wanting to do everything
« on: September 05, 2017, 02:23:43 pm »
I want to draw, write, sing, dance, cosplay, fursuit, make my own fursuits, and play instruments...
Does anyone else ever have problems with wanting to have too many hobbies?
  • Flag - xmaslight
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers

"Everyone assumes that if you make jokes, you're happy. Why? Why is that?" ~Swerve
art tumblr~other tumblr~deviantart

Offline Graham

• 50% moth, 50% man
  • Candies: 68
  • 100% boyfriend material
    • DeviantArt - ferinebreed
    • Twitter - ferinebreed
  • Fursona Species: Death's Head Moth
Re: Wanting to do everything
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 04:39:56 pm »
As someone with ADD, this speaks to me on so many different levels.
I bounce between drawing, writing, dancing, sewing, baking, reading the same four books over and over, and binge watching tv shows, with no in between whatsoever. I've found that I'll fixate on one more than the others for a while (from just three days to three months), so I really don't know what to do. I'm struggling with the same thing, pfft.
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - genderqueer
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/Them/Their
  • Award - Graphic Artist
:graham:
NaNoWriMo: Day: 23 ‖ Word Count: 26,009
dancer, writer, & self proclaimed werewolf whisperer

Offline Tabbystar

• Meow Wow!
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 69
  • Kitty!
    • DeviantArt - KipekeeReddington
    • FurAffinity - AllAmericanFlyingFoxdog
  • Fursona Species: Classic Tabby Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 06:20:46 pm »
SAME AHHH

It's so hard to live with. :,(
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/her
Fursonas: Kipekee Reddington, Tabbystar, & Dani Tracy

Art Dump |Toyhouse (WIP) |ThisCrush |
Sarahah |
Tumblr

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 49
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 06:36:39 pm »
I have a similar complication in my own life as well I can say I understand the desire to do more than you can feasibly fit into an already crammed schedule. Outside of my own dream of being a one man army when it comes to making games (this involves countless skills from drawing to music composition to programming and everything in between.) I also want to cook, write, and make my own webcomic.

In my experience, part of the problem (and while I can't say this is the same for you though I imagine it is) is not just that I want to do all these things but I want to be good at all of them, a master if I can. Not having enough time in the day or even simply in life to accomplish all of one's dreams and master all the skills one desires to pursue can be daunting. At times downright terrifying. If you find yourself in a situation, not unlike the one I've found myself I offer this bit of wisdom to keep in mind and hopefully help you to find solace as I have:

while you can spend your entire life mastering a single skill of throwing everything you have at a small subset of skills, you don't have to do that be good or even really good. I find it's re-assuring to know that for the most part with many skills it doesn't take a whole lifetime to become what most would call a master. While there will almost always be people who are better at something than you here finding room to improve in the smallest of details, I find greater reward in pursuing many fields and being good at many things. Perhaps you too will find it is more rewarding to pursue as many of your passions as you can and to get as good as you really want to be with them to focus all efforts on finding room to keep improving one skill or only a few. I personally have to come to accept that I can't be a master at everything, there simply isn't enough time, but having seen what mastery looks like and the steps that lead up to it I am content not to reach the summit, for me success isn't about being the best, it's about making things that live up to own standards and expectations not those of others and certainly not those of masters. Success for me is different than success and I'd argue my own definition is no less than anyone else because at the end of it know I will be happy with my choices.

So perhaps you too can find peace in pursuing things as far you want to take them. Though still if you find yourself overburdened with too many hobbies: try to break up your schedule and set time aside for the ones you want to pursue the most. There will always be time to pursue everything at least a little bit, but matters most is making sure you spend your time doing what you want and find enjoyable and rewarding. You can try focusing on one singular hobby or just two or three at a time and cycle through as time passes if that works better for you. It really just comes down to how you want to manage your time. You might also try breaking up the days of your week and assigning different ones to different pass times if that strikes your fancy.
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Undertaker

• "Do you want to see how it feels to sleep in my custom-made coffins?"
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 87
  • "How sad it would be, should laughter disappear."
    • DeviantArt - BluefoxLongtail
    • FurAffinity - sprite-limehead
  • Fursona Species: Retired Shinigami
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 06:41:12 pm »
I had a similar problem. Don't anymore, yet I've even more hobbies and interests than I did before. Go figure.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - omnisexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

GIFs are the property of their respective owners.

ThisCrush | SoundCloud | AMA/Q&A | Have something to ask me? (Off-site) | ♥ The wonderful young lady, that I love. (click) ♥
ENTJ | Field Marshall | Pagan

Offline Count Faithfull

• Just a cute Tiger
  • Candies: 332
  • Sushi is mana from Heaven.
  • Fursona Species: Vamperic Tiger
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 07:13:06 pm »
I want to draw, write, sing, dance, cosplay, fursuit, make my own fursuits, and play instruments...
This is literately me, I kinda just rotate them though, giving em each turns for a month or so.
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - polyamorous
▬▬▬▬▬▬⌘ஜ۩۞۩ஜ⌘▬▬▬▬▬▬
Chaotic Good ⧱ Bard/cleric ⧱ Faithfull's admirers'ENFJ ⧱ Hufflepuff ⧱ Pisces/Earth Tiger
▬▬▬▬⤪۩۞۩⤭▬▬▬▬
Icon by Serana <3
⥿

Offline ☆Sugar☆

• Swerve
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 166
  • kinda only care about giant robots tbh
    • DeviantArt - SugarLonghorn
    • Twitter - NoNotExactly
  • Fursona Species: Longhorn
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 08:54:13 am »
This is literately me, I kinda just rotate them though, giving em each turns for a month or so.
Yeah, I sort of go in and out of a hobby, besides drawing of course. One month I'll wanna dance, the next I'd rather spend all my free time baking!
  • Flag - xmaslight
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers

"Everyone assumes that if you make jokes, you're happy. Why? Why is that?" ~Swerve
art tumblr~other tumblr~deviantart

Offline Count Faithfull

• Just a cute Tiger
  • Candies: 332
  • Sushi is mana from Heaven.
  • Fursona Species: Vamperic Tiger
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 11:05:16 am »
Yeah, I sort of go in and out of a hobby, besides drawing of course. One month I'll wanna dance, the next I'd rather spend all my free time baking!
I mean it works so long as you have the memory, and don't need to relearn everything when you get back to that hobby xD But I think its good to have a lot of hobbies, even if you cant do em all. Not only does it mean you're less likely to get board, with so many things to choose from, but you also become sort of a Jack of all trades.
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - polyamorous
▬▬▬▬▬▬⌘ஜ۩۞۩ஜ⌘▬▬▬▬▬▬
Chaotic Good ⧱ Bard/cleric ⧱ Faithfull's admirers'ENFJ ⧱ Hufflepuff ⧱ Pisces/Earth Tiger
▬▬▬▬⤪۩۞۩⤭▬▬▬▬
Icon by Serana <3
⥿

Offline Azazel_McFloof

• The emo furry trash that for some reason most people like
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 9
  • Im slightly better than trash?
    • DeviantArt - AzazelofEsgaroth
    • FurAffinity - AzazelofEsgaroth
    • Weasyl - AzazelofEsgaroth
  • Fursona Species: Drolf (dragon wolf)
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 12:25:53 pm »
I mean it works so long as you have the memory, and don't need to relearn everything when you get back to that hobby xD But I think its good to have a lot of hobbies, even if you cant do em all. Not only does it mean you're less likely to get board, with so many things to choose from, but you also become sort of a Jack of all trades.
I am literally the exact same way
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His They/Them/Theirs She/her/hers i don't really care
I'm just gonna.. sit here in this corner
Pagan wolf boy

Offline Mystic

• Christmas cow
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 826
  • *sips starbucks*
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 04:16:53 pm »
I do this a lot, I usually just give eevrything a try and then pick my favourites and focus on those
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by Feve | Signature by Yuunis

Offline flurrin

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 129
  • sushi dog
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 05:17:04 pm »
Yea I do switch between things a lot but I think its a good thing generally XP if anything I think I could still do more stuff
  • Flag - britain
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pronouns: any
profile pic by ShopePapilloma