Poll

Which of the following boards, if any, would you like to see created on a requested-access-only basis?

Transgendered/Gender-Variant Members
23 (41.1%)
Babyfurs/LilFurs
9 (16.1%)
Christian Furs
12 (21.4%)
Other (See "Other Suggestions" Below)
12 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Survey: Special-Interest Board Ideas  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
Survey: Special-Interest Board Ideas
« on: December 26, 2010, 08:46:51 pm »
An idea is currently being discussed among staff members to start creating moderated-access boards catering to specific groups, for the purpose of creating "safe spaces", and/or to allow more thorough discussion of topics that might otherwise encourage flamewars or bother members who aren't interested in that topic.  Access to these boards would be handled through the Groups system (same method that controls access to the Adult boards).  Users may request membership in a group that grants them access to the board(s) of their choice.  These requests would be screened by administrators or applicable moderators, and would generally be granted unless we had a particular reason not to do so.

So, if you'd like to see any of the above three boards created on a controlled-access basis, please vote for the ones you'd be interested in participating in.  This poll runs indefinitely, you may change your vote at any time, and you don't have to vote at all.

Other Suggestions
We're open to suggestions for other special-interest boards, but keep in mind that these boards are only for topics/groups that meet the following criteria:

-Must not promote illegal activity
-Must be a topic/group that doesn't have generalized appeal to all forum members, and/or could be controversial or offensive to some members without violating forum rules
-Must have enough members interested to justify the board's existance
-Must have enough discussion potential to justify an entire board, not just a thread

Using these criteria, topics like cars and computer programming wouldn't qualify, but firearms might.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Cell

• Green Level
  • Candies: 48
Re: Survey: Special-Interest Board Ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 08:54:55 pm »
Not sure if this is appropriate: Please correct me if not.
Are fetishes discussed on the Mature Boards, or would they qualify as a topic for this?
Meh.

Offline Zenith Decrowe

• Bold as Love
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 42
  • Not a chicken
    • FurAffinity - zeniththecrow
  • Fursona Species: Crow
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 08:56:06 pm »
It seems as though there wouldn't be enough members for all three mentioned groups.  Forgive me if I am wrong, but from what I've seen only a minority of members here are Christian, baby furs, or transgendered.  Maybe there should be a board strictly for furry stuff.  The general chatter board is used for both non-furry and furry related topics, so creating a board strictly for the discussion of furry related topics would be feasible in my opinion.

I'm not sure if this is a generalized thing for all members here considering that most people, including myself, don't actually talk much about furry related topics in the first place.  The "Furry Board" could cover fursuiting, furry lifestylers, conventions, etc...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 09:05:56 pm by Zenith »
  • Site Donor
And so castles made of sand fall in the sea,
Eventually

Offline lucien

• i sold my hands for food
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 204
  • so please feed me.
    • DeviantArt - m0rtuum
    • FurAffinity - spazzeh
    • Twitter - onlygxdforgives
  • Fursona Species: african lion
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 08:57:12 pm »
Not sure if this is appropriate: Please correct me if not.
Are fetishes discussed on the Mature Boards, or would they qualify as a topic for this?

Fetishes are more of something that would be discussed in the Mature boards, yes, considering that conversations about them tend to get explicit and aren't really ~kid appropriate~

ETA:
Also, I think instead of a "Christian furs" board, we could have more of a "Religious furs" board or something, that way those who are religious but aren't Christians still have a safe place to discuss their religions.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 08:59:30 pm by Spaz »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him

• FT Founder
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 09:00:00 pm »

That's something that would be discussed in the adult boards, yes.  I sincerely doubt that any specific fetish could have enough interest to justify a dedicated board, but even if it did, that fact that we'd have to strictly age-restrict that sort of thing means we probably wouldn't do it anyway.

It seems as though there wouldn't be enough members for all three mentioned groups.  Forgive me if I am wrong, but from what I've seen only a minority of members here are Christian, baby furs, or transgendered.  Maybe there should be a board strictly for furry stuff.  The general chatter board is used for both non-furry and furry related topics, so creating a board strictly for the discussion of furry related topics would be feasible in my opinion.

Well, only one of these is currently in the works, the others were just the other three potential ideas that came to mind as I made the poll.  As for creating a "strictly for furry stuff" board, that seems a little silly since the entire forum is furry.  Furry-related topics and themes are intermixed with non-furry topics and themes in every board, just like every furry website on the internet and every furry gathering that's ever happened IRL.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Cell

• Green Level
  • Candies: 48
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 09:04:46 pm »
Thanks, both of you. I was wondering.

And I agree with Spaz on the Religion Board front. "Christian Furs Board" implies just that, and all religions would need such a space. Sub boards, perhaps?
Meh.

• FT Founder
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 09:15:08 pm »
And I agree with Spaz on the Religion Board front. "Christian Furs Board" implies just that, and all religions would need such a space. Sub boards, perhaps?

Well, that was exactly the idea that ran through my mind when I added that to the poll options, a board for a particular religion separate from other religious discussions (those usually go in Debate, but they tend to turn into flame wars anyway) and without inviting flame wars or debates.  I'm not Christian myself, but there have been complaints from past members that they didn't feel they could discuss their views as openly as they wanted, in the interest of creating a forum environment where all beliefs were respected equally.  In other words, the idea is to create a "safe space" for Christian members to have discussions amongst themselves.

And, I definitely was not suggesting an exclusion of other faiths, or a preference for one over others.  Members of any faith can have a board of their own, it's just that I imagine a majority of religious members are Christian.  I'd be happy to add options for Muslim, Jewish, Pagan, Buddhist, or any other faith if anyone would like to suggest them, I just don't know if any would have enough interest for a board.

Also, keep in mind that this is just an informal survey to gauge interest in any of these ideas, there's no guarantee that any of them will happen (except one, as I mentioned earlier).
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Offline Zenith Decrowe

• Bold as Love
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 42
  • Not a chicken
    • FurAffinity - zeniththecrow
  • Fursona Species: Crow
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 09:16:41 pm »

Well, only one of these is currently in the works, the others were just the other three potential ideas that came to mind as I made the poll.  As for creating a "strictly for furry stuff" board, that seems a little silly since the entire forum is furry.  Furry-related topics and themes are intermixed with non-furry topics and themes in every board, just like every furry website on the internet and every furry gathering that's ever happened IRL.

Sorry, I was just thinking that it would streamline the forums and make it easier for members to actually find furry topics instead of digging though the general chatter board where many non-furry topics reside.  I thought that having a board dedicated to furry stuff would make it easier for others to find specific topics pertaining to furry subjects.   

I'm sorry, maybe I'm over analyzing things a bit too much.  Maybe this idea would have been more suitable if this was a high traffic forum, but thankfully it's not.  But forgive me, it was a silly idea in the first place.
  • Site Donor
And so castles made of sand fall in the sea,
Eventually

Offline Daniel A. Skirtandzy

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 162
    • FurAffinity - Skirtandzy1
    • LiveJournal - Skirtandzy
    • Twitter - Skirtandzy
  • Fursona Species: Domestic Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 09:36:43 pm »
I like the thought of having a religion board.

Maybe there should be a board strictly for furry stuff.  The general chatter board is used for both non-furry and furry related topics, so creating a board strictly for the discussion of furry related topics would be feasible in my opinion.
I'm not sure if this is a generalized thing for all members here considering that most people, including myself, don't actually talk much about furry related topics in the first place.  The "Furry Board" could cover fursuiting, furry lifestylers, conventions, etc...

I was thinking something along the same lines, although, I have seen something on other forums that I like the thought of: A members only general discussion section.

Basically, if you ask a lot of members here, I am sure plenty, myself included, are more open discussing various things.
But, there are things (and sorry if I am stepping on toes by bringing something like this up again) that while they my be considered 'General Chatter', some members are hesitant to post, becuase the GC section is open to non-members.

It seems as though there wouldn't be enough members for all three mentioned groups.  Forgive me if I am wrong, but from what I've seen only a minority of members here are Christian, baby furs, or transgendered.

It would actually be tough to pinpoint the exact numbers, because even though we are a rather warm and open-minded site, people still watch what they post, due to worries about someone attacking their belief/interest.
  • Flag - lawyer
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 302
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 09:38:59 pm »
Nah, the Teen health board already works out pretty well for those issues (as well as other LGBT issues). Though I guess it would be pretty nice for our transgendered members.

Christian Furs
I personally think that this should be named Religious Furs and should be focused about discussions of all of the religions. This seems very practical and gives religious Furries a place to discuss their beliefs with like-minded individuals.

Babyfurs/LilFurs
I guess this board would create some good discussion for members who are into the AB/DL side of the Furry fandom (though there aren't that many here). But I don't believe that this board would be as helpful/inportant as a Transgendered/Gender-Variant Members board or a Religious Furs board.

Final Decision.
I think the Religious Furs board would serve the most use because Transgender related topics can be discussed in the Teen Health board and Baby/Littlefur topics aren't as life effecting as Transgender issues or Religious beliefs. So i'll vote for the Religious Furs board.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline lucien

• i sold my hands for food
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 204
  • so please feed me.
    • DeviantArt - m0rtuum
    • FurAffinity - spazzeh
    • Twitter - onlygxdforgives
  • Fursona Species: african lion
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 09:55:24 pm »
Nah, the Teen health board already works out pretty well for those issues (as well as other LGBT issues).

Coming from someone who's transgender, I disagree. A lot of the members on here aren't completely educated when it comes to the subject of gender issues, and tend to act negatively when an issue like that is brought up. It'd be good for those who are struggling with any kind of gender identity issues, because they won't have to worry that someone will reply to them in a bad way.

(I'm not saying people on this forum are rude towards it, I've just seen a lot of not good replies when people openly discuss gender issues.)
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him

Offline TIGER

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 222
  • :03
    • Twitter - tidaltiger
    • tumblr
  • Fursona Species: surprisingly, not a tiger?
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 10:35:09 pm »
I was thinking something along the same lines, although, I have seen something on other forums that I like the thought of: A members only general discussion section.

Basically, if you ask a lot of members here, I am sure plenty, myself included, are more open discussing various things.
But, there are things (and sorry if I am stepping on toes by bringing something like this up again) that while they my be considered 'General Chatter', some members are hesitant to post, becuase the GC section is open to non-members.

I personally really like the idea of having a board like this. Not really sure why, but it'd be nice to have an area that's not about things TOO confidential that they need one of the 'hidden' boards, but are still off-limits to non members. c:

And a seperate board for all different sorts of religions sounds pretty good too. Not just for one. I like learning about other people's beliefs. I can't really speak for any transgendered or babyfurs however, since I'm not one myself.
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: she/they
  • Award - Graphic Artist
do your best today! ☀

Offline EnriqueTSB

• Champion of Sombreros!
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 52
  • This exactly fills the limit of this text box yay!
    • FurAffinity - enriquetsb
    • Twitter - enriquetsb
  • Fursona Species: Jaguarundi
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 10:52:17 pm »
I can't really get behind the idea of having a "Christian" board specifically, without having boards for other beliefs.  A "Religion" board, I think would be great, although I can see it quickly becoming a massive flame-war without proper moderatorial oversight
  • Award - Beta Tester
"Everybody walks past a thousand story ideas every day. The good writers are the ones who see five or six of them. Most people don't see any."
--Orson Scott Card

Offline Mik

• [Insert something meaningful here]
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 68
  • Piece o' Piss ya bloody fruitshop owners!
    • DeviantArt - mikunefolf
    • FurAffinity - mikune
    • Twitter - MikuneFolf
  • Fursona Species: Folf
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 08:10:20 am »
I can't really get behind the idea of having a "Christian" board specifically, without having boards for other beliefs.  A "Religion" board, I think would be great, although I can see it quickly becoming a massive flame-war without proper moderatorial oversight

A "general" Religion board probably might not be a great idea as some religions don't "get along" - Even if the people participating are usually fine something someone says might offend [person of insert religion here] and spark a flame war.

The other two boards sound like good ideas.

A lot of the members on here aren't completely educated when it comes to the subject of gender issues, and tend to act negatively when an issue like that is brought up.

An idea could be to try to help people understand gender issues better on that specific board?

Offline Muishi

• STOP...
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 25
  • ...hammer time.
    • FurAffinity - ianthe
    • Twitter - ianthecc
  • Fursona Species: PANDAHH
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 08:40:48 am »
I agree with others.
The religion board sounds good.
As a Muslim, I get asked LOADS of questions and I have a load of questions to ask different people about different aspects of religion.
I feel kind of 'excluded' if there was just a Christian Furry board :(
I do agree with Enrique on the fact that if such a board was to be made into existence, there would need to be a lot of moderating over it. Especially as religions clash over some issues.

I'm not too sure about the other two, but the Transgendered/Gender-Variant board sounds interesting. I can't exactly say that I know a lot about it. I don't, and it'd be nice to read discussions and what-have-you about it.
<3Lestat<3

Offline Azeliah

• Local Disaster
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 2
  • Wanna play?
    • FurAffinity - liwyatan
    • Twitter - AzeliahS
  • Fursona Species: Liat
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 08:45:48 am »
While I've been raised Christian, then I would prefer that there's no Christian only board, I mean, there are other religions amongst the members too, that's what you get for having a globally open board. Religious discussion should be kept at religious boards such as Christian Forums (which happens to be the largest forums I know of), otherwise stuff ends up in a flame war regardless of how well moderated the board is, tried that a few more times than I wanted to (yes, I've been a moderator at a few message boards by now).

A "general" Religion board probably might not be a great idea as some religions don't "get along" - Even if the people participating are usually fine something someone says might offend [person of insert religion here] and spark a flame war.

And for multi-religious boards, I agree completely with Mik here.

Anyhoo... The other two boards seem fine, although I have to say that if you want a babyfur board, then there's always the rubberfurs, micro/macro furs and a LOT more where that comes from. x3

As for transgender and stuff, sure, I don't understand it, but I think the fuzzballs should be able to share their thoughts on the subject and receive the support they need. And honestly, the worst part of life to struggle with exactly that is during the teenage years. I think that there is someone here who can confirm how accepting I am regarding this subject, let's see if he reads this.

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Candies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 11:48:10 am »
Me being Christian, I think that a "Christian Furs" board is a good idea. I know first-hand that Christians are probably one of the most persecuted religious groups there is. And I for one would love to have discussions about that kind of thing without making our own furry version of the Crusades.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline Boscoe

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 25
  • Cookies!
    • DeviantArt - BoscoeXTokie FotoHvalp
    • FurAffinity - BoscoeDK
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 12:29:05 pm »
As for transgender and stuff, sure, I don't understand it, but I think the fuzzballs should be able to share their thoughts on the subject and receive the support they need. And honestly, the worst part of life to struggle with exactly that is during the teenage years. I think that there is someone here who can confirm how accepting I am regarding this subject, let's see if he reads this.

Yeah, I sure can confirm that. But It's also a very complicated subject, and something that people should be able
to gather around and discuss. But if anyone needs other furs to talk to about that, I'd gladly be there for them, and there's also a
group for transgendered furs on FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/transfurs

But yeah, Azeliah is one accepting person and for that I'm thankfull ^^
You've been a great support along with some other very good friends of mine and other fuzzballs :3

oh and sry for going off topic.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 12:41:10 pm by Boscoe »
Fursonas: Boscoe(grey wolf), Tokie(german shepherd) and Beagan(tiger x lynx)

• FT Founder
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 02:56:19 pm »
Apparently I didn't make this clear enough, we already have a "Religion" board, it's called Debate.  There's been no need to further split it up.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Offline Wolf12

• Life is just a dream it's never ending.
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 29
  • I'm not okay I'm crazy!!!!!!!
    • FurAffinity - bangwolf
  • Fursona Species: Gray Wolf
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 02:13:22 am »
i Think we need a transgender board it would be nice to let people know more about it. and to let people know that it's okay to be transgender.
All you base are belong to Wolf.
it's in the fine print.

my icon is done by Manicsfan.