Poll

Which of the following boards, if any, would you like to see created on a requested-access-only basis?

Transgendered/Gender-Variant Members
23 (41.1%)
Babyfurs/LilFurs
9 (16.1%)
Christian Furs
12 (21.4%)
Other (See "Other Suggestions" Below)
12 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Survey: Special-Interest Board Ideas  (Read 3749 times)

Offline Renegade-Sandwich

• WHENS MAHVEL?
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 20
  • Dedotated Wam
    • FurAffinity - Renegade-Sandwich
  • Fursona Species: Gryphon العنقاء
Re: Survey: Special-Interest Board Ideas
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 02:35:21 am »
while I wouldn't visit any of them often I think that out of all the topics a separate board about religion would probably cater to the broadest audience. And to be clear would the religion board include things like Atheism?     

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 304
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 10:25:07 am »
while I wouldn't visit any of them often I think that out of all the topics a separate board about religion would probably cater to the broadest audience. And to be clear would the religion board include things like Atheism?     
I wouldn't think so, as Atheism is lack of a belief instead of a belief it'self.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Azeliah

• Local Disaster
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 2
  • Wanna play?
    • FurAffinity - liwyatan
    • Twitter - AzeliahS
  • Fursona Species: Liat
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2010, 12:14:54 pm »
I wouldn't think so, as Atheism is lack of a belief instead of a belief it'self.

Not quite true. Atheism in it's most basic nature is the lack of belief in deities. I myself am atheistic in a sense although I don't describe myself as such. I live by the Bible, I believe that Jesus walked this earth, but I do not believe in God. If I should define my faith, then I'm an atheistic Christian, but I rather refer to myself as a freethinker.

The word you're looking for when you say lack of belief is nihilism - the rejection of belief in any sense, that there is nothing supernatural and inexplainable.

Honestly I think the mods should make these posts a separate discussion, it doesn't belong in this thread.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:20:29 pm by Azeliah »

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 115
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 01:52:56 pm »
[ongoing idea back and forth]

*nods* Yeah, but the eternal conflict between those with faith and those without. I've always seen it put in there, but I've also seen quite a few posts that, while not directly aimed at anyone, were pretty much deconstructive of the Christian faith. I am one of the people responsible for such posts despite being a Christian.

Is it really right to sect it into its own board? I realise we try to keep the peace here, but a comparably large chunk of the fandom to anything I've seen outside of it is Atheist, and that means that part of introducing people is showing that different viewpoint. The bitter reality is that people hate Christianity, and such people exist. It doesn't mean they get to attack it and go "DERHURHUR Shutup you bible thumping [noun]". It means that the viewpoint needs to be faced and coped with as part of maturing, both as a Christian and as a individual person.

I guess I mean, if it's strictly to protect people from an opposing viewpoint, I cannot find any reason to support it. If it's to protect people from flaming and give them a place that's theirs, then that is a proof of a failure of this community in handling things maturely and Christians do indeed deserve that space.
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline Chopin

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 18
  • We're the Last in Line!
    • FurAffinity - chopin
  • Fursona Species: White Tiger/Dragon
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 06:47:02 pm »
Personally, I think a Transgender board(or something like along those lines) would be good.  Seeing as I've been confused about mine for probably way too long, it could be a "safe" place for it to get discussed, because, like Spaz put it, there are a few not-so-good responses to the subject.
"You've got your stairs to Heaven, you may be right.  I only know in my world, I hate the light, I speed at night!"
-Dio, I Speed At Night

Offline Daniel A. Skirtandzy

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 162
    • FurAffinity - Skirtandzy1
    • LiveJournal - Skirtandzy
    • Twitter - Skirtandzy
  • Fursona Species: Domestic Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 09:01:56 pm »
Natasha, I saw the new topic you have with info about joining, and which boards there are.
Besides the ones listed, are you planning on adding any others to that list? (Kinda like a WIP, now)
  • Flag - lawyer
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 09:09:03 pm »
The gender board was the one that prompted this whole idea, and the others are not currently in the works, but we have room for expansion.  Based on these poll results, I don't think any of these others will be coming up any time soon, but if anyone is interested in a particular board and wants to help make it happen, find others who are interested and drop me a PM :-)
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Marcus

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 141
  • Fursona Species: Dog
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 07:28:57 pm »
I have a Sub-Forum idea.

What about a Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual board? (We can mention something about pansexuality too, even though it's pretty much a fancy branch of bisexuality.)

We have topics about the subject strewn about the entire forum, so why not put it in a concentrated area? Look at the Furry Sexuality thread in Teen Health. Of everyone who voted, heterosexuals only counted for roughly 30% of the the population. I patrol Anger Management and Teen Health a lot, and I see quite a few threads and posts on Non-heterosexual Orientation.
My signature needs a change. It's been four years.

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2010, 07:57:04 pm »
I have a Sub-Forum idea.

What about a Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual board? (We can mention something about pansexuality too, even though it's pretty much a fancy branch of bisexuality.)

We have topics about the subject strewn about the entire forum, so why not put it in a concentrated area? Look at the Furry Sexuality thread in Teen Health. Of everyone who voted, heterosexuals only counted for roughly 30% of the the population. I patrol Anger Management and Teen Health a lot, and I see quite a few threads and posts on Non-heterosexual Orientation.

This makes some sense, and gets the cookie for a good idea.

I'm there a lot too, albeit as one with problems (>///<) ... and Mercury has a point. That's really all I should put in.
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Hoofies down here.
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 11:07:52 pm »

Not quite true. Atheism in it's most basic nature is the lack of belief in deities. I myself am atheistic in a sense although I don't describe myself as such. I live by the Bible, I believe that Jesus walked this earth, but I do not believe in God. If I should define my faith, then I'm an atheistic Christian, but I rather refer to myself as a freethinker.

The word you're looking for when you say lack of belief is nihilism - the rejection of belief in any sense, that there is nothing supernatural and inexplainable.
I never said atheism was a lack of 'any' belief. I just don't think it makes sense to allow it to include it in a board about religion because atheism is a lack of a religion instead of one it'self. I never meant to post that atheists have no beliefs at all.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline Daniel A. Skirtandzy

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 162
    • FurAffinity - Skirtandzy1
    • LiveJournal - Skirtandzy
    • Twitter - Skirtandzy
  • Fursona Species: Domestic Cat
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 12:47:38 am »
I never said atheism was a lack of 'any' belief. I just don't think it makes sense to allow it to include it in a board about religion because atheism is a lack of a religion instead of one it'self. I never meant to post that atheists have no beliefs at all.

Well, your religions can be divided into three categories:
World Religions
Secular Worldviews
and Cults

Atheism is, if I am correct, considered a secular worldview, but is still, for that reason, considered a 'religious belief'.
  • Flag - lawyer
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Hoofies down here.
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2010, 12:53:30 am »
Atheism is, if I am correct, considered a secular worldview, but is still, for that reason, considered a 'religious belief'.
Yes, but it is not a religion it'self. It is a lack of a religion. So Atheism would have no place in a board called Religious Furs.

Well, your religions can be divided into three categories:
World Religions
Secular Worldviews
and Cults
Are you really trying to claim that secularism is a religion?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:56:02 am by Gage »
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor

Offline Muishi

• STOP...
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 25
  • ...hammer time.
    • FurAffinity - ianthe
    • Twitter - ianthecc
  • Fursona Species: PANDAHH
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2010, 10:36:10 am »
-snip-
Er, guys this is a thread to discuss what sorts of boards we would like.
I'm sensing a debate accumulating. Could you please take it to the correct board.
Thanks.

@Mercury: I like that idea. I have definitely seen a lot of topics about sexuality. It'd be a nice idea to put them all together so people can find it easily. I'm sure that it would get a lot of hits too. 
<3Lestat<3

Offline Marcus

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 141
  • Fursona Species: Dog
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2010, 01:52:42 pm »
Yes, what Muishi said. This thread is for discussing potential new boards and why we should or should not enact them. Not as to whether Athiesm should count as a religion or not. If you want, you can take that over to debate.
My signature needs a change. It's been four years.

Offline Azeliah

• Local Disaster
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 2
  • Wanna play?
    • FurAffinity - liwyatan
    • Twitter - AzeliahS
  • Fursona Species: Liat
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2010, 01:59:11 pm »

Atheists don't lack religion, they lack a belief in deities, which I stated before. Again, I'm Christian and atheistic in the most precise definition, I just refer to myself as a freethinker. To put it more bluntly, you can be religious without believing in the deity of that specific religion.

Also, I want to give some food for thought here. Which belief is the most important? The belief in God? The belief in oneself? Or the belief in oneself through the belief in God?

-snip-
Er, guys this is a thread to discuss what sorts of boards we would like.
I'm sensing a debate accumulating. Could you please take it to the correct board.
Thanks.
Honestly I think the mods should make these posts a separate discussion, it doesn't belong in this thread.

I'm asking again for a mod to move the off topic posts to a new thread in the appropriate forum.

I have a Sub-Forum idea.

What about a Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual board? (We can mention something   about pansexuality too, even though it's pretty much a fancy branch of   bisexuality.)

We have topics about the subject strewn about the entire forum, so why   not put it in a concentrated area? Look at the Furry Sexuality thread in   Teen Health. Of everyone who voted, heterosexuals only counted for   roughly 30% of the the population. I patrol Anger Management and Teen   Health a lot, and I see quite a few threads and posts on   Non-heterosexual Orientation.

Brilliant idea. :3 The liat approves. :3

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2010, 08:13:55 pm »
Perhaps nobody told you that there are ten things that atheists and christians should - and must - agree on?

Just take it somewhere else. All of you - and myself included.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 08:15:26 pm by copb.phoenix »
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?