Author Topic: Reign Over Me  (Read 432 times)

Offline Nox

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 60
  • Fursona Species: Dingo
Reign Over Me
« on: January 07, 2011, 12:16:56 am »
Alright, before I start off I should probably note that I found out about this movie through Wikipedia's "Shadow Of The Colossus" page, where it says that "The game plays a significant role in the 2007 Mike Binder film Reign Over Me". Seeing that this film starred Adam Sandler and Don Cheadle, I was interested as to what is was like.

And, wow.

Before you go and watch it, I should probably note that this is not a funny movie. This is one of Adam Sandler's serious roles, and what a role he plays. The film's name comes from The Who's "Love, Reign o'er Me", which is heard a few times throughout the movie.

The story is that in 2001, Adam Sandler's character (named Charlie Fineman) lost his family in the 911 attacks, as they were on board United Airlines Flight 175 when it hit the South Tower. Since then he has withdrawn to his apartment, where he remodels his kitchen every few days, and continuously plays "Shadow Of The Colossus" on a large projector. When he bumps into his former college roommate Alan Johnson (Don Cheadle) on a street corner, they work together as long-lost friends to face the challenges that confront them both.

This movie, even after one viewing, has already become one of my top ten favourites. I don't cry in movies, but this one had me tearing up several times. One particularly heart-wrenching scene is when Charlie is being forcibly removed from a court room when he is breaking up from having to see photos of his family, and he is screaming the lyrics of "Love, Reign o'er Me", to drown out the memories resurfacing.

I definitely recommend seeing this underrated film, as it is without question one of Adam Sandler's best roles. I would give it a 9/10, because I haven't seen a movie that moved me so emotionally in years.
  • Flag - original