Author Topic: An ft app  (Read 826 times)

Offline Jason

• gay all the way (or in my case just bi)
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 18
  • hmmmm....to be a furry or not to be....hmmmm
    • DeviantArt - Jasonfortheworld
    • FurAffinity - Jasonfortheworld
  • Fursona Species: Arctic fox/fox
An ft app
« on: February 02, 2011, 11:12:56 pm »
Ok so I've been meting this idea role ing head for a little bit and I was sneering f with Natashas permission could begging to work on an app for ft.  I have a fair knowlage with code but still have a bit to go.  I'd be working with this n my free time.  If anyone would want to help you would be more than welcome to.  The app at this point would be for the itouch/iPhone/iPad but I may make it for android phones too
Remember that time with that thing when it ran to that place that was in that city and then exploded.  There was also that time when the other guy with that birth mark who killed that one but the other day when that thing happened to that person.

do you remember?
if you do kudos

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
Re: An ft app
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 11:19:12 pm »
As someone who doesn't own, nor ever will own, an Apple mobile product, I really don't care if you build an iOS app.  If you want to give it a shot, you're welcome to do so.  However, instead of building something FT-specific, it'd probably be a better use of your time to build a generalized SMF forum app.  There's one for vBulletin, and I know a lot of people have been wanting a mobile app for SMF for quite some time.  So, if you were to build one that actually works, not only would it be compatible with FT, but it'd work with a lot of other websites too, and you'd likely get a lot of attention for it.

Unfortunately, I can't provide technical assistance, since I have no experience with iOS or Android development, but it'd be pretty cool to see an FT member create an app that benefits all members of all SMF-based forums :-)
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 11:30:05 pm »
I've been thinking something along these lines too, but with the added capability of browsing a few other places, like FA or Furocity or something. Also, I have access to the Palm Developer's Kit, which will help develop apps that are cross-compatible with WebOS, iOS, and Android. I think there may be a thing for Windows Phone too, but I don't really remember.

Long story short (too late), I'm willing to help with whatever I can. :D
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 11:46:33 pm »
Unfortunately, since FA lacks any sort of API, or even a simplified/mobile interface, trying to build an app for it is a lost cause.  It'd be no easier to use or more efficient than just loading the site in a mobile browser.

I hate to be the bringer of more bad news, but it seems that others have been working on this since the last time I researched the subject.  There's an app called ForumKast that's an iOS app for SMF forums, but there's little to no information about it.  Thing is, SMF has no external API either (I thought it did, but I was mistaken), so it's the same problem, a mobile app really wouldn't improve the user experience.  Especially since anyone on a smartphone has access to a full-featured mobile browser already; if you were developing a J2ME app, you might be onto something, but I'm not sure there's a real market for this.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Jason

• gay all the way (or in my case just bi)
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 18
  • hmmmm....to be a furry or not to be....hmmmm
    • DeviantArt - Jasonfortheworld
    • FurAffinity - Jasonfortheworld
  • Fursona Species: Arctic fox/fox
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 12:00:30 am »
Well....crap....and this was going to be my summer project....
Remember that time with that thing when it ran to that place that was in that city and then exploded.  There was also that time when the other guy with that birth mark who killed that one but the other day when that thing happened to that person.

do you remember?
if you do kudos